RadioXU #10

RadioXU10

Welcome to RadioXU! Tonight we begin an exploration of the musical genre that came to be known as Post-Punk. Initially sparked by the energy and do-it-yourself ethic of punk rock, the post-punk artists drew inspiration from a wide variety of musical styles, incorporating elements of avant-garde and electronic music, reggae, funk, free jazz and disco. Enjoy the challenging sounds of...

– Playlist –

ULTRAVOX! – Fear In The Western World
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN – Read It In Books
THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS – Pulse
SCRITTI POLITTI – Skank Bloc Bologna
THE GLAXO BABIES – This Is Your Life
SPIZZENERGI – Soldier Soldier
THE SOFT BOYS – I Wanna Destroy You
THE TEARDROP EXPLODES – Bouncing Babies
DIF JUZ – Diselt
MARS – 3E
COME ON – Disneyland
DEL-BYZANTEENS – My Hands are Yellow (From the Job That I Do)
ESG – You’re No Good
WORLD DOMINATION ENTERPRISES – Asbestos Lead Asbestos
POISON GIRLS – Ideologically Unsound
DELTA 5 – Journey
JOY DIVISION – Dead Souls

Download or listen to streaming audio below:


What do you think of this music?
Share some comments and let us know...

4 comments:

Darryl said...

Greetings Tom D. Thanks for the audio blast from the past. All new material for my ears. I will admit that I have some Scritti Politti vinyl, but I was always a sucker for dance music. That Delta 5 cut was most excellent and I dug ESG and Del Byzanteens quite a bit too. Another fine show. The quality of your recording gear is terrific and your show sounds great in my new headphones. Until next time. Keep that music coming, sir! Oh yeah, that "Asbestos Lead Asbestos" song has a catchy hook. Dug that a lot too. Ciao.

MAD4MUSIC said...

Hey, pal. Thanks (as always) for sharing your comments on the show. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm happy to hear it sounds good on your fancy new headphones ;-) The next installment, featuring more "post-punk," should follow not too long after this one. I've got the tracks picked out and the playlist set... Just gotta put it together.

Peacefrog said...

glad to see XU and Sonic Daydream is still churning out the hits. I always enjoy hearing new music (to me), even if it is old stuff. I have heard of the bands, but this was all new to me. I must admit, for my own personal taste, I don't mind synths, but I usually prefer guitar. That said, I did enjoy this episode. Favorite tracks include Echo and the Bunnymen and World Domination Enterprises. Looking forward to the next one. Cheers! Byrnes

MAD4MUSIC said...

By the mid-'80s I had definitely had my fill of synths and drum machines and I was very much ready to get back to the sound of good ol' guitars and real drums... But at the cusp of the '70s / '80s, synths still felt like an exotic new flavor, and so I still fondly remember the music of the that transitional period.

WARNING: I've got the playlists picked out for the next two podcasts, and there WILL be synths. After those episodes, you can rest assured that guitars will return to the fore ;-)