RadioXU #16


Welcome to RadioXU! Tonight we got a tall stack of vintage indie rock goodness to lay on ya! We're gonna rock out to the sounds of...

– Playlist –

THE LYRES – Buried Alive
DINOSAUR JR. – Little Fury Things
THE REPLACEMENTS – Kids Don’t Follow
THE FALL – Cruisers Creek
THEE HYPNOTICS – Soul Trader
LOVE BATTERY – Between The Eyes
THE CHILLS – Pink Frost
YO LA TENGO – Barnaby, Hardly Working
DINOSAUR JR. – In A Jar
THE REPLACEMENTS – Go
THEE HYPNOTICS – Earth Blues
THE FALL – L.A.
HALF JAPANESE – U.S. Teens Are Spoiled Bums
LAUGHING HYENAS – Living In Darkness
THE REPLACEMENTS – Answering Machine

Download or listen to streaming audio below:


What do you think of this music?
Share some comments and let us know...

4 comments:

Peacefrog said...

Happy New Year! Looking forward to listening to this one! Byrnes

MAD4MUSIC said...

Happy New Year, Byrnes! Hope you enjoy it. Play this one loud for optimal effect!

Peacefrog said...

Loved this episode. Growing up in the 80s, and going to college in the late 80's, "alternative" music was a big part of my life as I moved away from Top 40. The Replacements and Dinosaur Jr were two of my favorites at the time, and remain so to this day. I always like to hear something new, and I was not disappointed; Thee Hypnotics was a welcome surprise as they channeled the vim and vigor of Iggy and the Stooges. I also enjoyed the Lyres opening track. I was never a big fan of the Fall, and this episode didn't change my mind (but that is okay). Last, how great is Yo La Tengo? They've been making consistently great music for decades.

Byrnes

P.S. I can't help but notice that all this great music came from that brief era in rock music history where the music label mattered, especially in indie circles: SST, Twin Tone, Matador, Sub Pop, etc. Nowadays, that indie credibility notion seems to be so antiquated in a Spotify world.

MAD4MUSIC said...

Byrnes, I knew you would dig this episode! How can a show that features both The Replacements and Dinosaur Jr not be good, right? The mid-to-late '80s was a great time to be a lover of rockin' music. There were so many good bands flying below the mainstream radar that you could go see perform for a just a few bucks in tiny clubs and venues. I have so many great memories!

And the indie labels were crucial for helping one discover great new groups. The ones you mentioned, for sure. Homestead Records and Touch & Go were a couple others that I paid close attention to then.

I'll be revisiting this period for the next several podcasts, so there's a lot more good stuff coming!